It’s Summer Again, and School is Out!
It’s that time of the year that kids everywhere look forward to. It’s summer and school is out! Parents everywhere are wondering what to do to keep the kids engaged, and learning all summer.
Happily, for families in the Miami, Florida area there are many great choices. Here are a few;
1. Go to the Library. It’s free and the opportunities are limitless. Check the library near you for weekly events for all ages. Check out some books, check out a video, learn to listen to audio-books. Make reading fun, by keeping a list of all the books you’ve read all summer. Kids of all ages, love to be read to and reading together creates great family memories. So check out your local branch of the Miami-Dade Library system and let the fun begin.
2. Have you been to PAMM? PAMM stands for Pérez Art Museum Miami, it’s a great place for kids with many hands-on activities. The second Saturday of each month is free. In fact, 100 new works of art were recently donated to PAMM by Craig Robins and his wife, Jackie Soffer. So go, and learn about art, see the new exhibits and who knows, you may have the next VanGogh growing up in your home.
3. Do you want to learn about our ecosystem? A visit to Marjory Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Center will be a fun way to spend the day and also spark some interest in scientific learning. There are activities here that every age will enjoy. Kids can join the Jr. Naturalist Club, the EarthKeepers or take a seagrass tour. Fees vary for events so be sure to check the web-site http://www.biscaynenaturecenter.org.
4. It’s enjoyable to build something yourself, and a great skill to have! Check out the free, kid-friendly building activities at your local Home Depot, the first Saturday of each month. Make sure to call the store first to confirm.
5. The Miami Children’s Museum. Another place sure to please kids of all ages. Even if you have been there before you will want to go again. Exhibits change and there are lots of hands-on action to keep kids busy.
Kids learn best while they are having fun. Summer will fly by and you will be hearing, “I can’t wait for next summer!” Make lasting family memories while learning and having fun all summer long.